You are here: Home ยป Blog

California Business trip, day 0

Posted on Thursday, June 15 2006 at 07:10 | Category: News | 0 Comment(s)

Some random thoughts on my business trip to San Jose, California, which started today:

  • The flights were quite nice, some turbulences here and there, but nothing serious.
  • Catching the connecting flight in Portland was kind of a challenge, because we had only one hour between arrival and departure. We arrived at the gate exactly when boarding started :-)
  • Unfortunately this might also be the root cause why I am still sitting here with no baggage. They told me that it will come with the next flight and will be delivered to the hotel at about 6.30 pm, but no baggage arrived until now (10 pm). So I called the baggage service again, and they now told me that the baggage is at the airport and will be delivered at about 2.30 am. Lets see if I am still up then due to jetlag :-) (No, I don't think so...)
  • At least the hotel has WLAN access, so that I have email and blog access.

Shooting yourself in the foot ...

Posted on Sunday, June 04 2006 at 14:06 | Category: News | 1 Comment(s)
  • ... when installing an Oracle 10 database: When the Oracle Database Configuration Assistent asks for the database system passwords, enter something like "abc%123". Later, when the Assistent launches the instance, spend two hours to find out why the instance shuts down again almost immediately. Finally, find this in a log file: ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 1 ORA-00911: invalid character Offending statement at line 2254 create user sys identified by abc%123
  • ... when creating a Debian package: Spend two hours to find out why your package does not display a configuration message during installation. Finally recognice that the debconf database was messed up. Then simply fix it with # debconf-communicate PURGE

W3C XHTML 1.0 Compliance

Posted on Sunday, May 21 2006 at 10:47 | Category: News | 0 Comment(s)

I was informed some time ago that my starting page is not XHTML 1.0 compliant, as it claimed on the bottom. Of course, this is not because I dont know how to use a validator ;-) Instead I blame the serendipity blog software for messing up my otherwise valid XHTML 1.0 pages. It basically happened when I inserted a list into one of the articles. I put each <li> </li> on its own line, which let serendepity insert a <br /> after each </li> tag. This is not allowed and caused the page to be not valid XHTML anymore.

Lets see if it is possible to let serendepity check the page somehow after it has been saved, so that I will at least see if new articles are valid.

 

[UPDATE]

There is a HTML validator already shipped with serendipity. It takes the blog entry, sends it to validator.w3.org and parses the result. I installed it in my sandbox, but it does not work: the reply from validator.w3.org is a 302 moved temporarily.

 


korganizer debugging session

Posted on Tuesday, February 21 2006 at 22:54 | Category: News | 0 Comment(s)

I started to debug korganizer this evening, because the exchange plugin added appointments downloaded from an Exchange server one hour too early. After building kdepim from the debian source package, the first thing I learned is how to debug plugins (see KDE developers FAQ) (thanks, Mirko):

KDE searches its libraries in $KDEDIR/lib and in the lib directory of all the components of $KDEDIRS. So, while you are still developing your library and don't want to install it, you can use this trick:

  • cd to your development directory, the one where your library is built.
  • Set up KDEDIRS so that it include your development directory: export KDEDIRS=`pwd`:$KDEDIR
  • Create a pseudo lib directory where KDE should find your component: ln -s .libs lib
  • Run kbuildsycoca to inform KDE that it KDEDIRS has changed.

Now, KDE should find your library when using KTrader or KLibLoader.

 

This worked perfectly, and after some time of debugging I found the reason for the problem: libkpimexchange/core/utils.cpp contains the functin utcAsZone() which returns the local time for a given UTC time and time zone. The time zone is passed as id in the form "Country/City", like "Europe/Berlin". Inside this function, the function icaltimezone_get_builtin_timezone_from_tzid() from the ical library is called which shall return a time zone structure by its id. However, this function does something different: it expects the passed string to be in a specific format (it has to start with the prefix "/softwarestudio.org/", for example) and extracts the time zone id from this string. So, of course, it could never find a matching time zone...

 

The fix seems to be quite simple: just use icaltimezone_get_builtin_timezone() instead, which directly works on the "Country/City" format. Then, downloading appointments from the exchange server works well again.

 

[UPDATE]

I checked in the KDE svn repository: The very same fix has already been committed about two weeks ago :-)

 


Displaying results 17 to 20 out of 39